It always surprises me how many rides and runs some people load up into Strava and the knock-on affect for VeloViewer is some slow page loads for those people concerned. Hopefully those days are now behind us! As well as improved page loading I’ve finally got round to adding the most requested feature from the Usability Survey many of your filled in earlier in the year: “Could we have one update button, one click does everything”. Well now you’ve got one!
The most obvious change you will notice will be the new “Get Everything” button on the update page. This will:
- Add any new activities.
- Check all old activities for any new segments.
- Check all of your segment placings for any changes.
If you’ve got lots of activities then this could take a fair bit of time so you’ve still got the option of just getting the new activities without needing to do the more lengthy checks.
There is also a new progress dialog box that tells you what it is up to and gives you an idea of how long you need to wait until it finishes:
For each task the update needs to perform it will tell you where it is up to and once all of the tasks are complete you will get a browser alert to tell you that it has finished. If something goes wrong with the update then you can always refresh the page and press the button again and it’ll pick up from where it left off.
There was a big database hit at the end of the old update process where it calculated your scores and summary stats. I’ve now removed this to speed things up and lessen the load on the database but that does mean that you now need to visit your summary page after each update to create and view your new score.
You will also notice that your segment placing changes are ordered nicely with the lowest placings appearing at the top.
Apart from the removing of the score and summary stats generation at the end of the update process there will be very little difference in the speed on the update side of things. All those Strava API calls will still need to be made and that is what takes the time. However page loading times for your summary, activities and segments should see a large improvement though due to some (hopefully) intelligent caching within your browser so each time you visit any of these pages it will only download any changes to your data rather than the entire dataset. I’ve done my best to show some kind of progress for the downloading of data but once that’s completed there is also a delay to process that data which has the habit of locking the browser up for a short time.
Bikes and shoes are now shown on cycling and running activities throughout the site. Hooray!
Drop in Score?
The new update process now includes a way to remove deleted segments which was always missing previously. What this also means is that and “hidden” segments on your activities will also be removed from your list which will have a knock on affect to your Score. A recent change by Strava has meant a much larger number of segments are now hidden by default. The only way to get back to where you were would be to “unhide” the segments in Strava.
There are some fairly major changes here and the code is relying on storing data in your browsers offline storage which certainly adds plenty of opportunity for bugs. I’ve done some testing in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE and Safari on the iPad and iPhone. If you find any bugs then have a look through the comments below and see if anyone has already reported it. If not then add a comment giving your Strava id (the number in the URL of your VeloViewer update page) and any details so that I can replicate and hopefully fix it.
Known issues so far:
- On segment details the history count and number of efforts doesn’t seem to match up to the number of tries listed in the segments list. The numbers shown in the list appear to be correct.
- Max speed (and hence max pace) values have been lost for some of you on your activities. The next time you check for new segments these values will be corrected. Note: you can only check for new segments and placing changes once a week for the time being to save any excessive load on the Strava API servers.
- If your signature images aren’t displaying then just visit your signature page on VeloViewer (you don’t need to do anything while there or on your forums etc.) and they should start working again.